What it’s like Where I live

This post is for Ms. W’s Blogging challenge 2. For the blogging challenge this week is ” About your place “,  so that is what I am going to tell you about today. I live in the U.S in the state of Kansas. There is NOT very big cities in Kansas. I live in a small town. We have a festival in our town, it is called The Watermelon Festival. This is a little bit about what its like and how it started. It began when watermelons grew on the sandy river bottom ( there is a river near by our town ). Lots of people come to our town on Labor Day, that is when our festival is. We do all different kinds of things. We have a parade, BBQ’s, demolition derby, games, contests, and my favorite part is you get to have all the watermelon you want at the end of the day! A long time ago maybe when I was in 1st grade I got to go in a float with my brother Thomas and my dad. I have a picture of it ( the pic. with a red lawn mower and dad driving and me a Thomas in the back. )     and a few others.  Here is a contest, you grow watermelons and the person who grows the largest wins! I also have a picture of the float for the largest watermelon.

Now remember these pictures were 2009. Anyways, During the parade people walk and give out different things, like candy, Balloons stuffed animals! All kinds of different things. In 2011 I won this contest, I will tell you a bout it. Everybody wears the same t-shirt to the watermelon festival, You get a chance to draw a picture to put on the t-shirt, send it in and see if you won. Well this year I did!!

My dad had won before too. Now let’s get back to the post ” What it’s like where I live ” .Like I said It’s very small and quite. Just the way I like it. I would rather live in a small town other then a big noisy town. What would you rather live in? During the summer I love to go to the pool and play baseball. During the Winter I play in the snow ( That is if we get any ). I play basketball too. It get’s VERY hot in the summer and PRETTY cold in the winter. I don’t have much more to say about where I live so BYE!   Sciencegirlem aka Emily 😀

Watermelon Festival, an annual event for over 110 years, began when watermelons were a choice crop on sandy, river bottom land and could be easily shipped out by rail. Hundreds of people gather every Labor Day weekend for the festival parade, BBQs, demolition derby, dances, contests, games, and socializing.

4 thoughts on “What it’s like Where I live

1. G’day Emily,
    This sounds like an exciting festival, but I would like the part at the end where you get to eat all the watermelons. By the way, congratulations on winning the t-shirt contest.

2. Dear Emily,

Wow I really liked reading this post I found it very interesting. Well done upon winning the t-shirt contest.

The t-shirt you draw looks awesome. Did it take you long to think of what you were going draw?

The festival sounds like a lot of fun and I really like the theme been all about watermelons.

Do you like to eat watermelons?
    Watermelons aren’t my favourite fruit.

My favourite fruits which I like to eat are berries, like strawberries,raspberries and blackberries.

The town you live in sounds rather nice.
    Does everyone know everyone?

From your pal,
    Bianca 🙂

3. Great job, Em. So proud of you and your town is quite an amazing town to live in.
    Miss you and see you soon.

4. Pingback: Visit these – week 3 : Challenge Yourself to Blog