Water Problems in Kansas

This week’s blogging challenge asks the question: What are some of the water problems you have in your area? How can you help solve the problem?

Well, in Kansas these are some of our water problems.

How can we help solve the problem? Use water wisely. Don’t waste water. Become a scientist and study water.

4 thoughts on “Water Problems in Kansas

1. Hi Emily!
    I really liked your water report and will share this with some students I work with here in Pennsylvania who are trying to understand our ag and water problems as well. Atrazine is a big problem in the area where I live in southern PA. We are a fifth generation orchard family and I am an agriculture educator and beekeeper. Atrazine has been in use for a long time here, and we farmers are hoping for a better way to save our crops from insects and disease than to use this awful chemical – but for now, it is all we have. Some farmers use it on everything while other farmers, like our family orchard use it only when it the last possible choice. We need more ag scientists (like you!!) to help discover alternatives to this chemical, like natural pest controls and sustainable, affordable solutions to protecting our environment as well as keeping our farm going for the next five generations! I lve your blog, and hope to be out to Kansas again soon!

2. Pingback: Visit these – week 4 : Challenge Yourself to Blog

3. Emily,

Do you know what Peggy means by “sustainable” agriculture? One way the farmers have changed since I was your age is “no-till” farming. When I was ten, every field was plowed up and disked, which buried the weeds and the plant stubble from the previous crop, but it also released a lot of moisture from the soil and made the soil susceptible to erosion. A lot of that soil winds up in our lakes & reservoirs like you mentioned.

Now many farmers practice no-till ag, which means they use special seed planters that cut into the hard soil, rather than plowing it up beforehand. This cuts down on moisture loss and erosion. It is part of “sustainable” agriculture that helps improve our water in Kansas.

4. Hello Emily! Your water report is really great! You have listed the top water problems of your region and offered some helpful advice. Are you studying the ag problems in a professional way?
    We are from Russia. I can say that sometimes we suffer from the bad quality of water here: we have to use filters and to boil water before drinking. But luckily we seldom encounter the lack of water, we’ve got enough at the moment. But we’ll take your tips into account to prevent problems in the future.
    My students are also interested in the problem and last year they created some online slogans on World Water day calling for using it wisely (http://kidblog.org/MrsFlowersClass3/OlgaK./world-water-day/).
    If you have time, come and visit our blog one day http://kidblog.org/MrsFlowersClass3/. Bye for now!